Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Year. More Photos.

I'm currently working on a book cover design for Jane Cassady. Her book, For the Comfort of Automated Phrases, is being published by Sibling Rivalry Press later this year. To help with that project, I've been collecting images, taking photos, looking at color palettes, for inspiration. Jane found this clock at the Philadelphia AIDS Thrift Shop. It's genius, though it doesn't work.

Inside the little area to the left of the clock face is a scene with two birds in front of some foliage.





No, this is not supposed to be a snow scene. That's years of accumulated dust! Both disgusting and oddly compelling. Anyway, I've taken about a hundred pictures of this clock trying to get a good picture of the clock face (reflective bubble glass/plastic=grrrr) and the clock as a whole itself. Here's a few of them.











Yes, I even put the clock in our tub to take some pictures. I'm not sure why, though I do love the weirdness of the photos. Anyway, the clock is the primary object I'm obsessing over right now as I try to put together this cover. But, it's not the only image/aesthetic cue. Here are a few others, some offered by Jane and others happened upon by myself.

The True Artist Helps the World by Revealing Mystic Truths by Bruce Nauman

Close-up of part of the book cover for The Night Circus

Legend to Marcel Duchamp's The Large Glass


Umbrella cover from a Marimekko umbrella.

Still from opening sequence of The United States of Tara.
That's about it, for now. As I put together images and color schemes, I'll post some of the results--the good, the bad and the ugly.
Wish me luck.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment